Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I Am a Friend of God

I Am a Friend of God is an old song popularized by Israel Houghton and New Breed of Lakewood Church pastored by Joel Osteen.  If you haven't heard this song, you may want to check out this video.


I Am a Friend of God
Israel Houghton and New Breed (Lakewood Church)

VERSE:

Who am I that you are mindful of me

That you hear me, when I call

Is it true that you are thinking of me

How you love me, it's amazing (Who am I Lord)

CHORUS:

I am a friend of God

I am a friend of God

I am a friend of God

He calls me friend



Repeat Verse



BRIDGE:

God Almighty

Lord of Glory

You have called me friend



Repeat Chorus


I believe this was taken from the Book of James 2:23 (KJV):  And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 

I have some misgivings with the song.  Well, misgivings may be too strong a word, maybe I have some opinions on how to refine it.  Of course, it would be too late now given its popularity and the time interval! (Haha!)

While it is indeed amazing to be compared to Abraham! But then again we must remember that Abraham was born (and died) before the time of Christ.  We are indeed friends of God, but through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ in Calvary, we have become more than friends, we have become family!

The verses are amazing and they pierce the soul!  But when you really think about it, after the crucifixion and resurrection of  Jesus Christ (commonly referred to as Easter, and no there were no bunnies then, well at least I think there were no bunnies in Calvary or the rolling tomb!), we should expect God to be mindful of us!  After all we are his children!  And yes it does not take away the fact that it is still amazing and awesome to think that the God of all creation cares for us.  Oh but he does!  And we are dishonoring Him if we think otherwise!

Instead of repeating the phrase "I am friend of God" over and over, it should have also included the fact that we have become more than friends with God when we became the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.  But this is an afterthought and does not take away the fact that the song is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

User's Manual

Sometime back, my son asked me to fix his lego, I fixed it so many times that I thought I could do it without the manual. After going throu...