Wednesday, August 28, 2019

User's Manual

Sometime back, my son asked me to fix his lego, I fixed it so many times that I thought I could do it without the manual. After going through the motions, I thought I did perfectly until I saw one part was still rolling on the floor when I "finished" fixing it.  For reference this is what I was trying to fix:


Source

Fortunately for me, my son was already happy with what I have done, so he did not mind the "extra" piece.  As I thought about what happened, I realised that if I only used the manual I could have done it better.  So when everyone was asleep I went ahead and fixed that water strider lego properly.

As Christians, it is no secret that we also come with a users manual for life, it called the Bible, however, we have been doing life so long that we have forgotten to check the users manual.  Just like lego we get used to doing it without the manual.  For little things it is not an issue.

Source
I can fix that airport ground tug without looking at the manual.  Some harder stuff, we can still do it by winging it.

Source
I can still do that frog without the manual, but more likely than not it will take me at least 3 times the time it would have had I taken the time to read the manual.  Now for really complicated stuff...


Source

Just by looking at the picture of the Falcon in the box, I already know I cannot "wing" it.  This is a lego I need to spend time on the manual to complete.

It's just like life, we have been going through life for so long we think we can wing it.  We do not go back to the manuals, we try to do it our way.  As Christians, we should not try to wing it with life.  We have a user's manual prepared by our creator.  Some Christians think reading the Bible is a waste of time and concentrate on their ministries and rely only on the Word spoken during fellowships and preachings of their pastors or on TV.  You can find the frequency and demographic of of how much people read the bible here. Unfortunately this is not enough.

Reading the Bible regularly will help us to understand how to love life as God planned it for us.  It is our user's manual.  It is never a waste of time.  In fact it will save us a lot of time and allow us not to waste time trying to correct mistakes we have done in life, more importantly, some mistakes cannot be corrected anymore.  You can live through it and grow through the mistakes but it would have been better not to have made the mistakes because you knew what you should have done in the first place.  Imagine the relationships we can save?

It was just like me fixing my son's strider.  I went through it once and found that I made a mistake.  In rushing to fix, I wasted time fixing it again.  Time, I could have spent resting or enjoying a movie before sleep.  I could have not minded it, but it would have broken down more easily the next time my son played with it.  Which would mean I wasted more time, in the worst case, it could even lead to me getting angry at my son for not taking care of his toys and not playing with it properly.

That would have put an additional strain in my relationship wit my son.  No I am not the perfect father, or spouse. In fact I make a lot of mistakes.  That actually helped me to realise that I need more patience and I really have to get back to the Word.  

I realised I need help to live this life, I realise it more and more every day.  I cannot do it alone.  I need God's help in every area of my life and the only way to do that it by reading the Bible.  In Joshua 1:8 in the Amplified states:

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall read [and meditate on] it day and night, so that you may be careful to do [everything] in accordance with all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will be successful."

Read the Bible, make your way prosperous and be successful.  Let us not waste our time groping in the dark on how to live our life.  We have a user's manual prepared for us, all we have to do is take the time to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

User's Manual

Sometime back, my son asked me to fix his lego, I fixed it so many times that I thought I could do it without the manual. After going throu...